Not the most obvious pairing, I’ll agree. But this duo makes one heck of a moist and tasty muffin, for sure. They don’t have a super distinct appley or carroty thing going on but create a flavor all their own, and it is fantastic.
Carrot Apple Muffins
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp. ground flax seed whisked with 3 Tbsp. warm water)
1 small carrot, peeled and grated
1 small apple, peeled and grated
1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
1/4 cup Sucanat or brown sugar
Mix all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, set aside. Combine wet ingredients in a small mixing bowl then add to dry ingredients mixing until just combined. Divide batter evenly among a prepared 12 cup muffin pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- for the carrot I like to use a fine grater so the carrot pieces are not too big, but use a standard grater for the apple, a fine grater will have more of a juicing effect on the apple.
- total amount of grated carrot and apple should equal about 1 cup
- the addition of some chopped nuts would be nice also
- I sprinkled my muffins with a little cinnamon/sugar mixture before baking because it happen to be sitting on the counter, feel free to do the same
- inspired by a recipe in an odd little authorless book called Healthy Cooking for Your Kids